What type of events
can cause trauma?
- Abuse (physical, emotional, or sexual)
- Neglect (physical or emotional)
- Act of violence (a crime, war experience, witnessing violence)
- Unexpected experience with death (death of a loved one, natural disaster)
What could struggling with
trauma look like?
- Anger, irritability, and hypervigilance (never letting down your guard)
- Anxiety, depression, numbness, or guilt
- Aggressive, reckless behavior, including self-harm
- Sleep disturbances(nightmares, insomnia)
- Loss of interest in activities that you once enjoyed
- Intrusive memories or flashbacks
- Avoiding specific sights, sounds, places, or situations that remind you of the event
What can I do to get help?
- Work with a therapist who is trained in working with trauma
- Work with a clinician who practices EMDR to get quicker results
Research has shown that working with a trained trauma therapist to receive support and guidance is fundamental to healing. One of the top therapeutic techniques recommended to help resolve the effects of trauma in a shorter amount of time, is Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR). Since talk therapy can take years to help individuals move through their experiences, many individuals have found great results working with clinicians who are skilled at using EMDR. According to the EMDR International Association, (EMDRIA) the results from over 20 controlled studies investigating the effects of EMDR have consistently shown that this technique decreases/eliminates the symptoms of post-traumatic stress for the majority of clients.
EMDR is currently considered an efficient and rapid treatment for trauma by:
- Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense
- United Kingdom Department of Health
- Israeli National Council for Mental Health
To find out more about EMDR, please visit the EMDRIA website.
Why Work with New Pathways Counseling/Carron Maclean?
I am passionate about working with trauma victims. I focus on hearing your personal story, and then on guiding you through your journey to resolve the root issues and symptoms from your past.
- I am trained as a trauma clinician
- I’m skilled in using EMDR
- I am a group facilitator for WINGS Foundation, a non-profit organization that helps adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse
- I work with Victims Compensation on a case-to-case basis
My goal is to work with you at your own pace providing warmth, encouragement, and support as you find your way to your new normal.